Course Selection and Enrollment
International Baccalaureate courses are rigorous. They are taught at the college level and cover extensive bodies of knowledge. Before enrolling in the IB program, students should—in consultation with their teachers, family, and the IB coordinator—carefully plan their academic and extracurricular schedules for the following year to accommodate the demands of IB coursework. More information about IB courses, enrollment and all relevant forms is available in the AISV IB Handbook 2017-2019.
Once you have completed the consultation, you will choose six IB courses in accordance with the IB Diploma requirements. For each course selected, approval must be obtained by the current subject teacher. Once admitted to six IB courses, a student is expected to remain in those classes for two years. Under exceptional circumstances, a change of course may be requested within the first Quarter of 11th grade with the use of the Course Change Application Form. Please note that IB courses are offered contingent upon sufficient enrollment in the class.
Enrollment for Current AISV Students
The IB enrollment process begins in 10th grade when students are introduced to the IB Diploma Programme and the General Regulations and begin to consider their course options. Students and their families must read over the materials carefully and meet with the IB Coordinator in January to discuss their plans. As part of this process, students also speak to individual subject teachers who aim to assess their strengths and weaknesses with an eye toward the selection of appropriate higher level and standard level courses.
Students currently enrolled in the 10th grade at AISV must submit the following documents to the IB Coordinator by February 15th in order to be considered for the IB program:
- The signed IBDP Enrollment Form
- The signed IBDP Acknowledgment and Acceptance: General Regulations Form
- The signed Statement of Academic Honesty
- Access to selected courses will depend upon the approval of the subject teacher and IB Coordinator and sufficient enrollment in each course. Access to IB courses may also be conditional on performance on end of year examination results for sophomores and on completion of the Personal Project. Students must check the course requirements for each course carefully. If a student does not meet the requirements for the course, he or she may be asked to make up course credits in consultation with the IB Coordinator or may be denied access to the course.
Enrollment for New Students
In addition to the above requirements, new students wishing to enroll in the IB program at AISV must complete all of the standard AISV admissions procedures (available on the AISV website under Admissions Section) and present the results of an English language assessment that certifies functional fluency in the English language. Other prerequisites required for admission to IB Diploma program at AISV include:
- Demonstrated functional fluency in English on a reputable English language test (such as Cambridge, ETS, TOEFL, IELTS or other tests provided by AISV such as WIDA and MAP).
- Demonstrated ability to pursue the study of a second language (based on language screening test designed by AISV)
- For students interested in HL Math - demonstrated ability to pursue the study of a HL Math (based on math screening test designed by AISV)
- Student self-completed IB questionnaire provided by AISV
- Demonstrated ability to pursue a rigorous, academic program. This may be verified with examinations in IB subjects.
- An interview with the IB DP Coordinator and Guidance Counselor (if needed).
- Work diligently,
- Approach tasks with a sense of purpose,
- Demonstrate self-discipline and responsibility,
- Learn from fellow students as well as teachers,
- Share with, and contribute to, the community.